But please allow me to share this recipe for the Cowboy Spaghetti. I borrowed this meal from the Eat What You Love cookbook. This was different from traditional spaghetti in that it combined 3 different meats (beef, turkey and bacon) and was topped off with cheddar cheese, instead of the traditional grated Parmesan.
I had never heard of this version of pasta prior to making it but after soliciting feedback on Facebook, Kelly confirmed that she had! As it turns out, a quick Google search proved that other versions exist out there too, including a 5 star version by Rachael Ray (her version has 298 reviews!). If you click over, you'll see that the ingredients in her recipe are practically the same as this one I'm about to share!
Cowboy Spaghetti - 4 PointsPlus (for the sauce only)
- 3 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Start by cooking your pasta of choice according to the package directions while preparing the sauce. Set aside when done.
- Add the bacon to a large saute pan over medium-high heat and cook 5-6 minutes, or until slightly crispy. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and oregano and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until veggies are slightly softened. Add the ground beef and turkey. Break apart the meat as it cooks for 5-7 minutes, or until browned.
- Add the black pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire, chopped tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve the hot pasta topped with 1/2 cup of the cowboy sauce and shredded cheese.
This weekend I'll be hitting the books and studying all there is to know about human anatomy and physiology. In case you're new around here, I'm working on a second degree - I want to become a nurse!
That's right - 4 textbooks for one measly class! Other than studying, I may have a little shopping trip break to TJ Maxx and/or Lane Bryant. Apparently LB is having major sales this weekend.
I'm setting myself up for a fantastic, on plan weekend. I've already completed 1 of my workouts for the week and I'm feeling very focused and motivated.
Here's to maintaining a positive, on plan and productive weekend!